Overall Rank: 75
Category: Medical Devices
Category Rank: 13
- Top HealthTech Company of 2023
Spartan Medical Inc is a leading provider of innovative medical technologies and solutions for healthcare providers, government agencies, schools, hospitals, and ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs).
Located near Washington, D.C., the company has been recognized as a “top priority vendor” for the Veterans Health Administration – America’s largest integrated health care system – and it has been awarded more than 700 federal government contracts.
Spartan Medical leads the charge for the mass adoption of single-use, sterile, pre-packaged instruments, which reduce infection risks, improve OR efficiency, reduce costs, increase profitability and improve patient outcomes. The initiative has positioned Spartan Medical as a major player in the ASC sector and among field-based military centers that need durable, surgery-ready instruments.
In 2022, Spartan Medical launched two technology solutions to help address the mental health crises plaguing college campuses and veteran communities. In addition, Spartan Medical joined forces with a food-as-medicine logistics platform to provide the Veteran HealthPak™, a comprehensive solution to address the clinical needs of the 13.8 million veterans who have one or more chronic health conditions.
Spartan Medical’s vast network and experience have made it an industry leader for any organization seeking to buy or sell innovative medical technologies and solutions.
The Veteran HealthPak
A 12-month comprehensive connected health solution for chronic conditions that provides foundational health resources and healthy food — direct to the Veteran’s doorsteps! (Read)
A comprehensive technology solution in a convenient downloadable app designed to engage and empower veterans to understand, track, and improve their mental health and resilience (Read)
Radiolucent, sterile packed, easy-to-use, single-use retractors that allow you to maximize surgical volume, reduce infection rates, and improve OR efficiency (Read).
The Spartan SURE-Fire Retractor
Developed with the DoD and front-line medical units in mind, this retractor is sterile, always surgery ready and radiolucent. It has applications in Orthopaedic Trauma, (Upper and Lower Limb) Spine, Abdominal and Cardio-Thoracic surgery, and everything is packed in one small box making it ideal for DoD facilities in the U.S. or field-based medical centers (Read).
“First, please allow me to thank you for the service you and Spartan have rendered to me, and my hospitals as we endeavored to offer the finest in patient care.
I have worked with Spartan now for about six years and can honestly say the service has been superb. My practice has as many urgent, and emergent cases as it does elective cases and Spartan has never failed to meet any need that arises regardless of time of day or night. In my world, consistency and reliability are valued cornerstones and Spartan consistently and reliably accomplishes the mission. I have found all of the Spartan staff to be extremely professional, well-informed in regards to products offered, and extraordinarily helpful, and patient in working with, and teaching staff in the operating room regardless of the degree of experience of the circulating and scrub nurses. I have always found peace of mind in knowing that if I just handle the surgery, Spartan will handle everything else.
In addition to expert knowledge of your products, i have enjoyed working with Spartan because of it’s ability to understand the personalized needs of my practice, and to present me with products that help meet those needs. As opposed to other companies that try to massage your practice into needing their products, Spartan just flat out meets the needs of my practice with the best possible products. I can always trust that Spartan will present to me products that have been well-vetted and that will suit my needs. Customization of products as needed has been an added wonderful benefit of working with Spartan.
It is my hope that Spartan always continues to function the way that it does, and continues to sub-serve its clients with the same degree of integrity, expertise, reliability, and consistency.” – Chief, Division of Neurosurgery
Rating and Commentary
Spartan Medical has become a major player in the healthcare technology industry. By focusing on developing innovative technologies, the company has shown outstanding performance and made significant contributions to the competitive healthcare sector. Under the leadership of Vince Proffitt, the company has demonstrated a strong commitment to innovation and customer-centric solutions, reflecting its dedication to transforming the healthcare landscape. Vince has expanded the company’s reach, developed innovative solutions, fostered a culture of innovation, and formed strategic partnerships. His strategic approach and ability to understand customer needs have strengthened the company’s position and accelerated its growth.
In a competitive arena with rivals like Marathon Medical and ProCell Surgical, it has further managed to stand out for more than a decade by consistently delivering cutting-edge health IT and care management solutions. Its ability to navigate this competitive landscape speaks to its industry expertise and innovative approach.
Trusted by major investors, its financial stability and growth potential are underscored. The confidence shown by these prominent shareholders further solidifies the company’s position in the market. The company’s approach and strategic partnerships have enabled it to expand its reach and access new markets, providing a solid foundation for growth. With a strong leadership presence and a culture of innovation, it has positioned itself as a trusted and preferred choice in the competitive healthcare care industry, driving its ongoing success despite the presence of formidable competitors.
Spartan Medical's Video
Vince Proffitt, Founder and President
He is a federal government contractor with over 700 contracts. In addition to his position at Spartan Medical, Proffitt is actively involved in several private and publicly traded companies, where he holds key roles, such as lead investor, co-founder, and board director. He is also the chairman of the Proffitt Brothers Foundation, which supports non-profit organizations that are actively making a positive difference in their communities. Vince honed his leadership skills while studying at the United States Air Force Academy, where he graduated with exceptional honours in 1999. After graduating, he spent five years serving as a USAF Intelligence Officer, where he trained aircrew members and supervised theatre combat operations for international missions. Vince received multiple prestigious awards and accolades for his exceptional service, including being named the Air Force Instructor of the Year in 2003.Proffitt believes in uplifting important matters and is passionate about supporting veterans, entrepreneurs, and individuals striving to make a positive difference in society.
Eric Jania, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Eric is a highly experienced executive with over 25 years of experience in the medical device industry. He has held senior positions in product commercialization, business development, marketing, and sales. He is also an expert in regenerative medicine and has a deep understanding of the emerging medical technologies that have the potential to improve patient care. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Eric took the lead at Spartan Medical® and developed a comprehensive, turnkey program to help customers suppress outbreaks and keep their organizations operating. This program was awarded for its effectiveness and helped to establish Spartan Medical® as a leader in the COVID-19 pandemic response business sector.
Mark White, Executive Vice President of Physician Relations & Chairman of Advisory Boards
Mark White is a highly experienced professional in the medical device industry, having worked in sales, marketing, and business development for over 35 years. He started working at Merck & Co. and quickly advanced in his career. He achieved membership in the Vice President’s club and became a field trainer for new regional representatives. Later, he joined a medical device distributorship in the Washington DC area and was recognized as the first-ever “Salesman of the Year” at Arthrotek. Mark moved into the spine market and started working at Nuvasive, where he introduced their unique lateral approach to the spine in the Washington DC metro region. Additionally, he played a role in transforming two local surgeons into influential figures in the field. Mark joined Spartan Medical® in 2012 and has held different leadership roles, such as overseeing spinal technologies and global sales.
Beth Shea, Chief of Finance and Logistics
Beth has consistently exceeded industry standards in her leadership of Spartan’s global revenue collection and reconciliation. Her oversight ensures that Spartan’s systematic proficiency measures remain best-in-class.
Before joining Spartan, Beth honed her skills in New York City and Boston at some of the world’s leading hospitality companies. She was passionate about finding organizational efficiencies and creating a collaborative work environment. Beth is a proud graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst and a Massachusetts native.
To know more about their executive team, visit here.
- 2008: Vince Proffitt founds Spartan Medical Inc.
- 2013: Spartan Medical is recognized as a “top priority vendor” in the VA as a certified Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small-Business (SDVOSB).
- 2018: The Proffitt Brothers Foundation, the charitable arm of Spartan Medical, is established.
- 2020: Spartan Medical provides COVID-19 mitigation programs to schools, colleges, business, and communities across the country.
- 2021: One of Spartan Medical’s customers in the higher education space is awarded the best pandemic response program by a 400-member national organization, establishing Spartan Medical as a proven leader in the medical operations management sector – the planning and organizing of large medical projects.
- 2021: NTT Data, a digital business and IT services leader, teams up with Spartan Medical to deliver COVID-19 testing and tracing services to multiple government agencies and public sector organizations.
- 2022: Spartan Medical is named to the INC 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America.
- 2022: Spartan Medical is named a Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal.
- 2022: Spartan Medical is named one of the fastest-growing business companies and one of the largest veteran-owned companies in the DC region by the Washington Business Journal.
- 2022: Spartan Medical launches two technology solutions to help address the “hidden pandemic,” the mental health crises plaguing college campuses and veteran communities.
- 2022: Spartan Medical joins forces with Tangelo, a food-as-medicine logistics platform, to provide the Veteran HealthPak™, a comprehensive solution to address the clinical needs of the 13.8 million veterans who have one or more chronic health conditions.
- 2022: Spartan Medical donates 700 medical-grade blankets and other medical supplies to Ukraine people.
- 2023: Vince Proffitt is named a Top 25 Healthcare Leaders of Washington, D.C. by the Healthcare Technology Report.
- 2023: Spartan Medical is named a Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal for the second year in a row.
- 2023: Vince Proffitt is named U.S. Healthcare Entrepreneur of the Year 2023 by Healthcare Insights Magazine.
- 2023: Spartan Medical is named a Top 100 Healthcare Technology Companies of 2023 by the Healthcare Technology Report.
News and Press Releases
- April 13, 2023: Spartan Medical Recognized Among Best Places to Work in Greater Washington, D.C. in 2023 (Read)
- West Tennesseans Will Have Access to Mobile Vaccination Services (Read)
- October 11, 2022: Spartan Medical Named to Washington Business Journal’s Fastest Growing Companies List (Read)
- October 26, 2021: Spartan Medical Adds Vaccine Verification to Turnkey COVID-19 Testing Program (Read)
For more news and press release, visit here
- RTI Surgical
- Spinal Elements
- Orthofix / Seaspine (Recently merged)
The Proffitt Brothers Foundation, the charitable arm of Spartan Medical Inc., was established in 2018 to honor the vision and mission of Gregory Proffitt, who was the company’s first Vice President and General Counsel. Its purpose is to honor Greg’s legacy by providing assistance and funding to nonprofits on the front lines that are making a positive impact on their communities. The Proffitt Brothers Foundation has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to dozens of causes across the country, especially those that improve the lives of America’s military veterans.