Overall Rank: 16
Category: Medical Devices
Category Rank: 4
- Top HealthTech Company of 2023
With over 40 years in the industry and a focus on continuous improvement, Enovis™ is one of the world’s leading medtech companies with more than 1,000 total medical devices and 1,200 patents held. Enovis also covers the full orthopedic care continuum including performance, prevention, surgical, recovery, and rehabilitation. Built upon the strong orthopedic foundation of DJO® and the successful legacy of continuous improvement of Colfax®, the company has brought to life market-leading brands like DonJoy®, Aircast®, EMPOWR®, MotionMD®, and Companion Animal Health™. Enovis has more than 7,000 employees within 30 facilities worldwide and is headquartered in Wilmington, Del.
Enovis is an innovation-driven medical technology growth company. Together with clinicians, the company is creating the future of better care with its clinically differentiated solutions, helping healthcare professionals thrive and patients achieve extraordinary results. Powered by a culture of continuous improvement, global talent, and innovation, the Company’s extensive range of products, services, and integrated technologies fuels active lifestyles in orthopedics and beyond.
- The ARVIS® Augmented Reality System represents the next era of orthopedic technology as a wearable, self-contained system that delivers real-time, hands-free surgical guidance directly to surgeons at the point of care.
- Partnerships with key surgeon consultants help provide advanced and proprietary patented solutions, including EMPOWR 3D Knee®, the only dual-pivot knee system on the market, and AltiVate Reverse® Shoulder, a market-leading system, based on the design principles of the RSP® Shoulder, which demonstrated excellent clinical outcomes at 10 years.
Foot & Ankle
- Enovis’ foot and ankle offerings include solutions for nailing, plating, screws, MIS, total ankle replacement and staples. Specific product families such as DynaNail Helix™, EF1, STAR® Ankle, and Arsenal Plating System™ are innovative solutions that support surgeons and their patients with the most challenging cases in the foot and ankle space.
- Arsenal Plating arms surgeons with variable angle locking technology and dual lead screws, a powerful combination of patented and innovative technologies, to address all types of fusions and fractures across the foot and ankle.
- The Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement (STAR® Ankle) is intended for use as a non-cemented implant to replace a painful arthritic ankle joint due to osteoarthritis, post-traumatic arthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis.
Bracing and Supports
- Enovis™ pioneered the concept of functional knee bracing over 40 years ago with its DonJoy® brand and continues to lead the progression of performance by studying the body, listening to athletes, consulting physicians, and pushing the envelope of innovation.
- Aircast® and DonJoy® are leading product brands in bracing and supports, offering performance, protection, and recovery for the knee, ankle, elbow, back, wrist, shoulder, and more.
- The ProCare® product line is a comprehensive line of upper and lower extremity and patient care products serve individuals of all ages, abilities, and levels of fitness.
- Exos® is a revolutionary, thermoformable technology, offering an adjustable and reformable solution addressing various pathologies for upper extremity, lower extremity, and spine.
- Enovis™ is a technology leader with a broad offering in rehabilitation, pain management, and healing across the musculoskeletal space. Leading brands include include Chattanooga®, LightForce®, Companion®, Compex®, and Pegasus™.
- Recovery Sciences’ Companion® Animal Health business is focused on improving the lives of beloved pet patients with a proven portfolio of laser therapies, regenerative medicine, and on-site diagnostics.
- Powered by CMF Bone Growth Stimulation, Enovis’ advanced technology (Spinalogic® and OL1000®) provides medical professionals with an effective tool for healing nonunion fractures and primary lumbar spinal fusion procedures.
- Enovis™ offers quality, comfort, and style with Dr. Comfort® to those living with diabetes or other foot conditions that affect their day-to-day life. Dr. Comfort® provides quality diabetic shoes, prescription and non-prescription inserts, therapeutic comfort socks, slippers, sandals, and compression hosiery.
- Enovis’ Elastic Therapy (ETI) is an FDA-registered manufacturer of compression products used in the treatment and prevention of venous and lymphatic disease.
- MotionMD®, an automated and scalable platform, helps drive efficiencies and compliance, all while enhancing the patient and user experience.
- OaraScore® is a clinically validated, peer-reviewed risk stratification tool for total joint arthroplasty, designed to help orthopedic surgeons provide the most consistent and comprehensive assessment information needed to assess which patients are most medically appropriate for outpatient joint replacement therapy.
- VeriPro® arms patients upfront with their DME estimated patient responsibility, giving patients transparency like never before.
Enovis Healthcare Solutions delivers personalized DME solutions with a consultative approach. With over 7 million patient agreements, 45,000 providers, and integration with 66 EMR vendors across 3,000 locations, they are dedicated to crafting tailored solutions that adapt to unique business needs. The flagship product, MotionMD, automates DME workflows, ensuring efficiency, compliance, and an enhanced patient experience. Its transparent interface provides executive-level visibility, making it the go-to partner for businesses seeking customized solutions in the healthcare landscape.
In the realm of customer experiences with DonJoy products, glowing endorsements speak volumes about the brand’s impact. For instance, an individual named Jane Harris attests to the transformative power of the DonJoy OA Reaction Web knee brace. The brace not only instills a newfound sense of confidence but also eases daily activities like climbing stairs and engaging in gardening. Her recommendation for this solution to those grappling with arthritis underscores its efficacy. Katie, a competitive equestrian and ski racer, recounts her journey of recovery after a complex ankle injury. She attributes her remarkable progress to a DonJoy brace, praised for its affordability, exceptional quality, and efficacy in minimizing the need for athletic tape. This highlights DonJoy’s commitment to supporting athletes’ recovery journeys.
Megan Rapinoe, a celebrated U.S. Soccer Player and Olympic Gold Medalist, emphasizes the significance of cautious recovery and injury prevention. In her experience, the pressure to hasten recovery should be balanced with a commitment to long-term well-being. This viewpoint underscores the need for comprehensive solutions that ensure a safer, stronger return to sports.
In the world of triathlon, Robert Heins resonates with the excellence of DonJoy’s products. The TriZone knee brace not only offers him peace of mind but also tangible performance enhancement. His victories in age-group races while wearing the brace affirm its reliability and effectiveness in supporting his athletic pursuits. These customer insights collectively illuminate DonJoy’s impact, underscoring their role as a trusted ally in the realm of sports and recovery.
In the realm of customer insights, the resounding endorsements for DonJoy products paint a vivid picture of their impact. From easing the challenges of arthritis and aiding intricate recoveries to championing cautious healing and optimizing athletic performance, these testimonials encapsulate the brand’s commitment to holistic well-being. Its products stand not only as effective solutions but also as enablers of personal triumphs, reinforcing their pivotal role in empowering individuals to pursue active and fulfilling lives.
- Launched: 2022
- Number of employees: 7,000+
- Facilities Worldwide: 30
- Medical Devices: 1,000+
- Clinical Providers: 35,000
- Patient Interactions: 6,000,000+
- Reconciliation of Sales in 2022: $1,600,000,000
- Patents: 1,239
Matthew L. Trerotola, Chair and Chief Executive Officer
Matt Trerotola has spent most of his career in various roles at DuPont, Danaher Corporation, and McKinsey & Company. Prior to joining Enovis (Colfax at the time) where he served as a director of the Company since July 2015, Mr. Trerotola was an executive vice president at DuPont. At DuPont, he was responsible for $6.3 billion of revenue in safety and protection and electronic materials, along with overall corporate responsibility for Asia. At Danaher, he held several leadership positions from 2007 to 2013, including serving as Vice President and Group Executive for the $2.5 billion life sciences platform. In these roles, he strengthened talent, greatly accelerated organic growth, improved profitability, and made strategic acquisitions.
Ben Berry, Chief Financial Officer
Ben Berry joined Enovis in 2020 and as of January 2023, succeeds Christopher Hix as the company’s CFO. Mr. Berry has demonstrated strong financial leadership in the medical technology space over his career. Since joining Enovis, he has strengthened the Company’s financial teams and processes, while making significant contributions to Enovis’ improved operating performance and profit margins. He has also played a key role in shaping the Company’s growth strategy, including acquisitions. Previously, Mr. Berry spent 18 years in the medical technologies sector with Alcon, which included its launch as an independent public company.
Brady R. Shirley, President and Chief Operating Officer
Prior to becoming President and COO of Enovis, Brady Shirley served as Chief Executive Officer of DJO Global. Mr. Shirley joined DJO in 2014 as President of the DJO surgical business and helped establish it as one of the best growth engines in the reconstructive market. He was appointed CEO in 2016 and led the transaction into Colfax in 2019. From 2009 to 2013, Mr. Shirley was the CEO and a director of Innovative Medical Device Solutions (IMDS), an orthopedic outsource development and manufacturing company. At IMDS, he managed the integration of four companies, consolidated the capital structure, and led a successful sale of the business in 2013.
Daniel A. Pryor, Executive Vice President, Strategy and Business Development
Daniel Pryor has more than 20 years of mergers and acquisitions, strategy, and investment experience in the medical technology, life sciences, and industrial sectors. Prior to joining Enovis in 2011, Mr. Pryor was a partner and managing director with The Carlyle Group‚ where he focused on industrial leveraged buyouts.
Patricia Lang, Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
With more than 25 years in human resources and related fields, Patricia Lang brings significant expertise, as well as great in-depth knowledge and experience in the diligence, acquisition, and successful integration of complex multicultural companies. Most recently, she was the Chief People Officer for Diebold Nixdorf and was responsible for managing associate-focused initiatives across the organization for more than 24,000 associates. Prior to joining Diebold Nixdorf, she held a number of human resources and operations leadership positions at companies such as Mylan Pharmaceuticals, CONSOL Energy, Mercer Consulting, and Cigna.
Bradley J. Tandy, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
Prior to joining the Enovis leadership team in 2019, Mr. Bradley Tandy served as Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary of DJO Global. Before DJO, Mr. Tandy was Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary of Biomet, Inc. from 2006 to 2014 and served as Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, and Chief Compliance Officer from 1999 to 2006. He joined Biomet as Assistant General Counsel in 1992. Previous to his employment at Biomet, he was a partner in the law firm of Rasor, Harris, Lemon, & Reed in Warsaw, Indiana, where he focused his practice on representation of medical device and healthcare companies.
With a culture of continuous improvement and innovation and a commitment to bettering lives and fueling active lifestyles, working at Enovis™ is a career experience like no other. Enovis™ has more than 7,000 passionate associates in locations across six continents and empowers team members to create better together every day on a worldwide scale.
Enovis™ was recognized as one of America’s Greatest Workplaces 2023 and one of America’s Greatest Workplaces for Diversity 2023 by Newsweek. In 2022, the company was named one of America’s Best Midsize Employers by Forbes.
Enovis™ offers comprehensive benefits packages for its employees. The benefits span various areas, including health, finances, and paid time off. The health of its employees is of the utmost importance for Enovis™ as shown through medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance plan options. Other personal and financial benefit offerings include spending and savings accounts, 401k plan, vacation/sick leave/holidays, income protection plans, insurance rates, and legal services.
The company remains committed to fostering and championing innovation among the team, ensuring all employees have a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of healthcare professionals, their patients, and the communities where they work.
Matthew L. Trerotola, Chief Executive Officer and Chair of the Board of Directors
Brady R. Shirley, President and Director
Liam J. Kelly, Director
Liam J. Kelly has served as a director of the Company since January 1, 2020. Mr. Kelly has served as the Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Teleflex Incorporated, a global provider of medical technology products, since May 1, 2020.
Philip Okala, Director
Philip Okala has served as a director of the Company since February 22, 2021. He currently serves as system president at City of Hope, one of the largest cancer research and treatment organizations in the United States, where he is responsible for City of Hope’s portfolio of clinical care and research entities. He is a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE), a Fellow with Healthcare Financial Management Association, and currently serves on the board of the Holy Child School at Rosemont.
Clayton Perfall, Director
Clayton Perfall has served as a director of the Company since September 21, 2010. Previously, he served as an Operating Executive of Tailwind Capital, a private equity fund manager focused on growing middle-market companies in the Healthcare, Technology, Business Services, and Industrial services sectors from 2014 through 2022.
Rajiv Vinnakota, Director
Rajiv Vinnakota has served as a director of the Company since May 13, 2008. Since July 2019, he has served as the President of the Institute for Citizens & Scholars (formerly the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation), a 75-year-old non-profit organization that played a significant role in shaping higher education. With an expanded mission, Mr. Vinnakota currently serves as a director of ESAB Corporation.
Sharon Wienbar, Lead Independent Director
Sharon Wienbar has served as a director of the Company since June 15, 2016. She was previously with Scale Venture Partners, a venture capital firm, from 2001 to 2018, where she led investments in technology companies and served on the board of numerous portfolio businesses. Ms. Wienbar currently serves on the boards of Resideo Technology, a New York Stock Exchange-listed public company, True Anthem, a privately held software provider, and Kaleido Health, a leading women’s health app.
Dr. Christine Ortiz, Director
Dr. Ortiz is the Morris Cohen Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where she has made pioneering advancements in the areas of biotechnology, biomaterials, and nanotechnology. The author of more than 200 scholarly publications, she has supervised research projects across multiple academic disciplines, received 30 national and international honors, including the Presidential Early Career Award in Science and Engineering awarded to her by President George W. Bush, and served as the Dean for Graduate Education at MIT from 2010 to 2016. At Enovis, Dr. Ortiz serves as a member of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Board.
Angela S. Lalor, Director
Ms. Lalor served as Senior Vice President, Human Resources, of Danaher Corporation from 2012 until April 1, 2022, when she moved into an advisory role with Danaher until her retirement from Danaher at the end of the first quarter of 2023. Ms. Lalor serves as Chair of the Compensation and Human Capital Management Committee of the Board.
Barbara Bodem, Director
Ms. Bodem served as Interim Chief Financial Officer at Dentsply Sirona Inc., from April of 2022 to October 2022. She currently serves as a director of Syneos Health, Inc., (Nasdaq: SYNH), an integrated biopharmaceutical solutions company, where she is a member of the audit committee. Ms. Bodem serves as a member of the Audit Committee of the Board.
Enovis (NYSE: ENOV) is a publicly listed company.
- In July 2023, Enovis™ Recognized as One of America’s Greatest Workplaces 2023 by Newsweek (Read)
- In June 2023, Enovis™ Completes Acquisition of Novastep® (Read)
- In June 2023, Enovis’ MotionMD® Software Platform Once Again Receives HITRUST® CSF Certification (Read)
- In December 2022, Enovis Receives FDA Approval of Patient-Specific Instrumentation for STAR® Ankle (Read)
- In November 2022, Enovis’ ARVIS® Awarded the AAHKS Industry Innovation Award at the 2022 American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting (Read)
News and Press Releases
- March 2023: Enovis Launches “Better Is” Campaign: Creating the Next Generation of Possible. Together (Read)
- November 2022: Enovis Introduces DynaNail Helix™ – a New Twist on Hindfoot Fusions (Read)
- April 2023: Enovis bets big on ortho. CEO Matt Trerotola explains why the company has a winning hand (Read)
- May 2023: Enovis Rides Momentum from Scaling Acquisitions (Read)
- August 2023: The 10 largest orthopedic device companies in the world (Read)
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with their customers, they are driven to make healthcare better. They offer innovative products and services in Medical and Surgical, Neurotechnology, Orthopaedics and Spine that help improve patient and healthcare outcomes.
Smith & Nephew
Smith+Nephew is a portfolio medical technology company that exists to restore people’s bodies and their self-belief by using technology to take the limits off living. They call this purpose ‘Life Unlimited’. The company’s 19,000 employees deliver this mission every day, making a difference to patients’ lives through the excellence of their product portfolio, and the invention and application of new technologies across their three global franchises of Orthopaedics, Advanced Wound Management and Sports Medicine & ENT.
DePuy Synthes, the Orthopaedics Company of Johnson & Johnson, provides one of the most comprehensive Orthopaedics portfolios in the world that helps heal and restore movement for the millions of patients we serve. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, in addition to the VELYS™ Digital Surgery portfolio, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide.
It stands as a prominent player in the medical industry, specializing in the design, development, manufacturing, and distribution of a wide spectrum of orthopedic reconstructive, spinal, and trauma devices. Their portfolio extends to encompass dental implants and various surgical products, catering to diverse medical needs. Their contributions are not limited to orthopedics; they also provide solutions for sports medicine, joint and dental reconstruction, spine care, and skeletal repair. By addressing disorders and injuries affecting bones, joints, and associated soft tissues, they play a pivotal role in enhancing patients’ quality of life and restoring physical well-being.
Enovis™ upholds its corporate social responsibility standards in high regard. The company is committed to being a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive company. With thousands of team members located across the globe, Enovis™ recognizes that it takes all of us, working together, to create a better world. The Enovis™ Women’s Leadership Group is just one of the many ways the company is building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued.
Enovis™ focuses on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues such as business ethics and corporate governance. The Board sets high standards for employees, officers, and directors. Implicit in this philosophy is the importance of sound business ethics and corporate governance.
The company is committed to respecting human rights across all business operations in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
Consistent with the commitment to conduct business with the highest ethical standards, Enovis™ has adopted a Code of Conduct for Business Partners that sets out the expectations and standards that apply to any agents, distributors, dealers, contractors, intermediaries, joint venture partners, suppliers, and other business partners doing business with Enovis™. Among other things, the Code of Conduct for Business Partners addresses compliance with law, labor and human rights (including child labor and forced labor) and health, safety and the environment.
Enovis™ believes in giving back to its communities and supporting other worthwhile initiatives that contribute to the betterment of society. Enovis™ is committed to providing worldwide support for: the advancement of medical education, the improvement of patient care, and public education on pertinent health care topics. The shared purpose of creating better together doesn’t stop at just work. It’s about taking that purpose, passion, and positivity into the communities in which they live. Enovis™ encourages all its employees to participate in “Creating Better Together in the Community Day” as part of its commitment to give back.